Who are we?
Camp Hopewell is a year-round ministry of the Presbytery of St. Andrew, PC (USA). We are an ACA accredited facility and a PCCCA member site. Located in the midst of the Holly Springs National Forest about 5 miles east of Oxford, Miss, we offer a full summer camp calendar and host retreats and conferences throughout the year for all ages and types of groups.
Mission & Values
The mission of Hopewell is to empower one and all to connect with God, self and others in the natural beauty of God’s creation. The following value statements help us to further this mission:
We provide a place apart, where people can unplug, opening themselves to God, creation and community with others.
We provide a safe space, physically and emotionally, for all people, including those who are differently abled or with special needs, to experience God’s love in community with others.
We aim to equip people of all ages for personal and spiritual growth.
We encourage self-discovery and self-reflection.
We offer hospitality and activities that invite personal and communal positive experiences.
We teach and practice creation stewardship to preserve God’s creation.
We facilitate fun!
It all began in 1839 with the building of the original Hopewell church and the establishment of the Hopewell community. In 1866, after the original structure burned down, the current church building was erected and housed the members of the Hopewell Church community for well over 100 years.
In 1947, North MS Presbytery voted to begin a youth camp. The report from the Committee on Religious Education said “The time is ripe for the next step forward in our work with young people: The providing of a conference ground for our young people and other groups desiring to use it.”
In 1949, Camp Hopewell began with 10 acres of land, the Dining Hall, McCorkle, and Saunders Cabins. In 65 years, camp has grown from 3 camp sessions in July on 10 acres of land to 7 weeks of summer camp and retreat guests hosting during the other 45 weeks of the year on 280 acres of land in 12 buildings.